Tuesday, August 24, 2010

"Orange As The Pigeon's Eye..."


The Snark playlist for TUESDAY, AUGUST 24, 2010.
(Artist/SONG/Album, etc.)

Shriekback -- HERE COMES MY HANDCLAP -- Tench E.P. (1981, Y Records)
Wyzacker -- HEEL TO THE SPADE (produced by Mantrakid) -- Neferiu Records: Tendown (2010, Neferiu)

Casiokids -- FOT I HOSE (LFF extension) -- Topp Stemning På Lokal Bar (2010, Polyvinyl)
Shannon Rose & The Thorns -- WHERE HAVE YOU BEEN? -- Sing Me A Song (2010, ind.)
Jack Teagarden -- I JUST COULDN'T TAKE IT BABY -- A Teagarden Party (http://scratchyattic.blogspot.com/) [orig. 193?, date unknown)
Trashcan Sinatras -- ORANGES & APPLES -- In The Music (2010, Lo-Five)
The Hygrades -- ROUGH RIDER -- The World Ends: Afro Rock & Psychedelia in 1970s Nigeria (2010, Sound Way)
Matthew & The Birds -- TRAIN SONG -- Remnants Of What We Reminisced (2010, ind.)

The Temptations -- I WANT A LOVE I CAN SEE -- My Girl: The Very Best Of The Temptations (2002, Motown) [orig. 1963]
Yale Strom & Zmiros -- MAREL O DEL -- Carpati: 50 Miles, 50 Years (1996, Global Village)
Johnny West -- I'M A WITNESS, NOT YOUR WAITRESS -- My Hellhound Crooked Heart (2010, ind.)
The Birthday Party -- HAPPY BIRTHDAY -- Hee-Haw (1980, Missing Link)
Justin Hines & The Dominoes -- CARRY, GO, BRING, COME -- The Story of Jamaican Music: Tougher Than Tough (1993, Mango)

Eu -- GAROTAS SUECAS -- The New Brazilian Music, Volume 1 (2010, BM&A)
Gregory Isaacs -- BAD DA -- The Trojan Story, Volume 2 (1982, Trojan) [orig. 1975, The Thing]
The Provincial Archive -- A SMOULDERING EPILOGUE -- Maybe We Could Be Holy (2010, ind.)
The Spys -- LUDWELL WOODWORK -- Original Punkrock From Canada 1979-80 (2001, Incognito Records)

Jaron Freeman-Fox -- CLARITY -- Manic Almanac: Slow Möbius (2010, ind.)

Thanks for listening!

Snark addendum:
So after a little lazy digging, I can't even remember where it started, it turns out that "Oranges and Apples" by the Trashcan Sinatras is about Syd Barrett. There's about a million reasons why. But I now know more about Barrett than I ever meant to...
When I played it last Tuesday, I could've caught one or maybe two Syd references in "O&A", if somebody would've reminded me about Syd's "Bike" song. Anyway, with nothing to go on, I didn't think anything of it, y'know? So it goes...
Still sounds like it's about somebody in love.

From Catalogue d'objets introuvables, by Jacques Carelman, 
Éditions André Balland, Paris, 1969.

No comments:

Post a Comment